I’m a 90s kid and admittedly grew up eating way too many Totino’s Pizza Rolls. I know that these days, it’s just a bit of nostalgia and I could never bring myself to buy a bag of those frozen goodies, much to Josh’s dismay. But let’s be honest, we haven’t even owned a microwave in two years. That said, I’m still a sucker for pizza-everything and of course, I passed that down to my kids! So this week we decided to break out this old family favorite and try it in our new cast iron skillet. It was a hit, as usual. Bonus points, this version doesn’t squirt lava-hot liquid down your face when you bite into them!
Let’s Make Some Pizza Rolls!
We make our own pizza dough using this quick recipe from Money Saving Mom. White whole wheat flour keeps the rolls full of healthy grains, but still light and fluffy. Recently, we discovered Nello’s Lavender Pomodoro sauce and it became an instant favorite to serve alongside our pizza rolls.
- 1 ball of pre-made pizza dough
- 16 pepperoni slices
- 16 mozzarella pearls
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- garlic powder, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- grated parmesan (optional)
- warmed marinara or pizza sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease a cast iron pan or pie dish.
- Divide your pizza dough into 16 pieces and flatten into small circles.
- Layer one slice of pepperoni and one mozzarella pearl onto the center of each circle.
- Fold the edges of the circles up around the filling and press together to seal into a nice ball.
- Place pizza bites, seam side down in your pan.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in garlic powder.
- Brush melted butter mixture on top of pizza bites.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and parmesan, if using.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until dough is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve with warmed marinara or pizza sauce.
Find more recipes here.